Sunday 22 July 2012

Italian Supper Club - Al Fresco

July 19, 2012 was my first Italian Supper Club since my return from Italy. I know, it even sounds stuck up when I'm typing it. But, Rome was an experience never to be forgotten and changed my life completely. It made me appreciate just how wonderful Italian cuisine is and how much I've taken it for granted all these years.


The supper club was held at The Manor House and the event was called "Al Fresco"...which is really eating outside, Italian Style. Massimo and Enzo out did themselves once again - as Giovanna was in the kitchen doing her magic.


We were greeted with Bruschetta, as we walked out to the backyard where we would be enjoying this dinner under the stars. You can smell the charcoal heating up on the BBQ with Enzo on 'coal' alert and perfecting his already perfect system.


I brought a virgin with me that evening and warned him in advance to eat very little during the day, because this was going to be a feast.


Our appetizers were his famous Focaccia, figs with prosciutto and salami and oyster mushrooms. We all lost focus on the big picture and just dived in... Eyes bigger than our stomachs really !!!!!


Then one of the two dishes I have been looking forward to all year... Homemade sausage - just off the grill and served with green onions which were also lightly grilled. I'm ruined for life with their sausage... I can never buy store bought - the first bite and the sausage bursts in your mouth with flavour and the freshness of the meat is insane. The spices just there to bring the ride your mouth is feeling to a whole new level.


Rainbow trout was next -served with a breadcrumb crust. I always say, this part of the meal is really just to cleanse you and get you ready for 'main event'.


Fresh pasta served with tomatoes - simple and delicious. Just what Italian cooking is all about.


Now....part 2 of my anticipation - Steak Florentine. Watching Enzo grill these is like watching a Maestro during a concert. This meat is cooked rare - sliced very thinly, then drizzled with olive oil and sea salt sprinkled on top. It melts in your mouth........ As I always say 'It's so good, it's stupid'.


We finished off with watermelon sorbet and cannoli's with a shot of cold espresso.


At the end, like all supper club evenings, we sit back, take a deep breath if we can and just smile.


My rant for today:
For all the people out there who are on a low carb, no carb, 'I only eat protein shakes'.... You are missing out on life.


You can't look back on your life and wish you had one more protein shake..... I'm 100% for taking care of our bodies and treating it like a temple and giving it all the love we can. The Italian Supper Club is reminder that you can have it all. I don't sit down to a feast like this everyday, but events like this teaches you that you can take simple fresh ingredients, and make something wonderful, tasty and even healthy.


The next event will be held in August (I hope) and will be my last Supper Club :o(... I'm moving out west to be closer to my family, but I hope I can convince them to come out and share this love to my family and friends in Edmonton.


Until next time....


Ciao
Daniela


No comments:

Post a Comment